Pir Panjal traverse - Day2: Achhan to Gugalmarg



31st July 2022 

I stayed for the night with bakerwals at Achhan  and it was raining all night. At about 8am in the morning i left the tent after having some noodles and tea. I moved towards Saranjan and crossed a 3850m pass North of Didum peak(Hoen Heng), SW of Chakiali gali which connects Mahu Banihal with Kandimarg Kulgam. 
View SE from Saranjan

I descended down 200m into Sikwas Nala valley and climbed again to the main ridgeline of Pir Panjal range, NW of Gagarmandu peak(4000m). The top ridgeline separates Kashmir and Jammu division. I then followed the 3900m contour and traversed the ridgeline upto Nikkan gali where I descended 150m down to Nikkan.
Top ridgeline of Pir Panjal range


On way to Nikkan gali, i explored Mang nar valley, traversed Nunkhul gali which connects Kulgam and Gulabgarh. It was a cloudy weather and as soon I reached Nikkan, it started to rain and i took shelter at Shepherds camp. After 15min the weather got cleared and i left  and entered back into Kashmir valley via Zachimarg gali.
Mang nar valley 

I have always read that Pir Panjal protects Kashmir from monsoon rains and today i saw it live. On southern side of range, it was raining while on the northern side, it was pleasant and cool.
Nunkhul gali


At around 6:45pm i reached down to Gugalmarg where as per plan my campsite was. I tried to go near the  bakerwals but their dog was after me for about 200m. So finally i decided to camp far away from them and camped solo  for the night.

I recorded my route in two sections. One from Achhan to Nikkan which i shared above and other from Nikkan to Gugalmarg which is given below

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to Alpine lakes of Pir Panjal Range

Sunset Peak

Mamneth circuit trail guide.