Pir Panjal traverse - Day1: Mahu to Achhan








Pir Panjal is a basaltic mountain range that bounds the Kashmir valley from South. In the December of 2021, while mapping the peaks, passes, nomadic dwellings and hiking routes on this range in OSM, i planned to traverse the entire range from Banihal To Tangmarg in a single continuous stretch  but unfortunately i had to end it at Aharbal Kulgam. 

30th July 2022 - Day1

I took a first train from Srinagar to Banihal at 8:07am and it almost takes two hours to reach there.  I had to reach Mahu valley where from the journey begins. I took a cab from the main market to Mahu and due to bad condition of road and landslides, it took about 3 hours from Banihal to Mahu valley. 
This place is really a hidden gem and has a lot of potential for hiking and adventure tourism.
Enroute to Mahu valley.


At about 2pm, after having lunch and praying Zuhr at my friends home, i left for my journey.
On way towards Achhan, there is an army camp about 1.5kms from the village. I proved my identity there and then moved forward. 
Natural shower room.


I had planned to enter into Kashmir valley the same day but I couldn’t.  I reached Mahu late and also because of the bad weather, visibility dropped to some meters and the route via which i had to enter into valley was covered with avalanche snow. 

Source of the Achhan nala.


I then decided to descend down and camp at Achhan for the night. I found a lone bakerwal tent and stayed with them for the night. 
Spent a night in this tent with bakerwals.


The hospitality was beyond my expectations. I had some best food and tea with them. The head of the family himself laid a mattress for me and gave me a new blanket. It felt like a home and this was all about Day 1.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to Alpine lakes of Pir Panjal Range

Hirpora Lakes trek | Day1: Dungimarg Mughal Road to Handu Sar.

Mt Harmukh and the Discovery of K2